Volunteers help make the races possible for athletes to compete in a fun, safe, and organized way. We believe that those of you who give your time and energy to help support these races should be treated as well, if not better than, the racers. We work hard to make sure that you receive the resources necessary to be a successful volunteer, that you’re safe, as comfortable as possible, and that you have a great time outside with us and the racers in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
Volunteering is a great way to get a front seat view of the race and be an integral part of the event. Some people volunteer because they’re interested in racing and want to check it out up close; some are racers who need a down day; some are friends, family, or significant others of racers who want to be a part of the festivities and share in the fun. Here’s a brief outline of some of the benefits you will receive as a volunteer:
- A meal at the pre-race and post-race party.
- A first-hand, insider look at races.
- Volunteer for at least 6 hours at any of our events and receive a free or discounted entry for you or a family member (50% off entry to any Orca Running race)
- Kudos from the racers and race organizers, and a deep sense of personal satisfaction for a job well done.
What kind of things will I do as a volunteer?
Race volunteers do a wide variety of things, including but not limited to:
- Course Design – Provide ideas on race courses and assist in obtaining permits.
- Course Set Up and Take Down – Set up course markers pre-race and remove them post-race.
- Course Marshaling – Help direct racers on the course.
- Parking – Provide racers and volunteers guidance on parking.
- Registration – Record racer information, check in racers day-of race, hand out racing bibs.
- Headquarter Coordination – Keep track of team status and location throughout the race.
- Aid Stations– Prepare food and help at aid stations.
- Timing – Record the time as racers cross the finish line.
- Refreshments – Prepare and serve food for the pre-race and post-race party.
- Emergency Medical Assistance (medically trained volunteers only) – Support racer medical needs.
Can I volunteer with a friend?
Absolutely! If you’d like to work at the same location and job with your buddy, just let us know and we’ll make it happen. Volunteering is also a wonderful way to meet like-minded people who enjoy the same sport!
How do I sign up?
If you’re interested in signing up as a volunteer, or simply want to find out more about volunteering opportunities, just contact us with the subject “Volunteering”!